Friday, February 18, 2005

Debunking 9/11 Myths

Popular Mechanics has published an excellent article scientifically debunking many of the crackpots myths and conspiracy theories surrounding the 9/11 attacks. Includes supporting photographs. From the introduction:

Three and a half years later, not everyone is convinced we know the truth. Go to Google.com, type in the search phrase "World Trade Center conspiracy" and you'll get links to an estimated 628,000 Web sites. More than 3000 books on 9/11 have been published; many of them reject the official consensus that hijackers associated with Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda flew passenger planes into U.S. landmarks.

Healthy skepticism, it seems, has curdled into paranoia. Wild conspiracy tales are peddled daily on the Internet, talk radio and in other media. Blurry photos, quotes taken out of context and sketchy eyewitness accounts have inspired a slew of elaborate theories: The Pentagon was struck by a missile; the World Trade Center was razed by demolition-style bombs; Flight 93 was shot down by a mysterious white jet. As outlandish as these claims may sound, they are increasingly accepted abroad and among extremists here in the United States.

5 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Tom, how naive you are!

It's obvious that the government, for some inexplicable reason, in the aid of some inexplicable cause, blew up the towers themselves! Al Qaeda, Al Schmaeda!

Had you been wearing your tinfoil hat, the government wouldn't have been able to get to you. I guess it's too late for you...

9:54 AM, February 18, 2005  
Blogger MaxedOutMama said...

Those wild theories are pretty much doctrine at a lot of liberal websites. You will get shouted down if you care to argue. The theory is that the BushRove conspiracy planned it to implement a totalitarian regime of terror such as the one we are experiencing today and steal this election.

And when Kerry is talking about terror and the war and saying that's why Bush was reelected, it is that belief he is addressing. So don't bother anyone with facts - their minds are made up. Plus, I don't think these types read Popular Mechanics.

5:27 PM, February 18, 2005  
Blogger Esther said...

Facts? What are those? For what it's worth, I took seriously that phone call I got to stay home on 9/11 and not go visit the infidels, I mean workers, at the World Trade Center.

5:42 PM, February 18, 2005  
Blogger Tom Carter said...

Thanks for the comments. After I read the article, I was finally able to take that damn tinfoil hat off! Makes your head itch something fierce!

Esther, I'm glad you took the advice on the phone and stayed home. I need all the readers I can get!

MOM, to be honest, I don't read Popular Mechanics, either. I picked up the link from a press report, and I can't remember what paper it was in. But I think you're right about who reads it and who considers it beneath them. I think I'll check it out once in a while from now on.

7:11 PM, February 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The number of conspiracy sites is staggering. I wouldn't have thought there were that many sites on the topic period. Thanks for passing it along.

Nelson Cooke
http://piratesofpensacola.com/blarg/

10:51 PM, February 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home