Monday, August 29, 2005

Dave on Mathematics

In a classic 1993 back-to-school column, Dave Barry bemoaned the poor knowledge of mathematics displayed by most high school students:

I say this in light of a recent alarming Associated Press story stating that three out of every four high-school students -- nearly 50 percent -- leave school without an adequate understanding of mathematics. Frankly, I am not surprised. "How," I am constantly asking myself, "can we expect today's young people to understand mathematics when so many of them can't even point their baseball caps in the right direction?"

I am constantly seeing young people with the bills of their baseball caps pointing backward. This makes no sense, young people! If you examine your cap closely, you will note that it has a piece sticking out the front, called a "bill." The purpose of the bill is to keep sun off your face, which, unless your parents did a great many drugs in the '60s (ask them about it!), is located on the FRONT of your head. Wearing your cap backward is like wearing sunglasses on the back of your head, or wearing a hearing aid in your nose.


The more things change, the more they stay the same....

5 Comments:

Blogger Musicguy said...

yup that's it! if people wore their hats the "right way" the world would be a better place. I don't know why someone didn't think of this solution years ago!

3:02 PM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Amal said...

Ahhh, what can I say that has not been said?

8:43 PM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger sarahintampa said...

hilarious!

11:06 PM, August 30, 2005  
Blogger Tom Carter said...

David, I hope your comment was intended to be funny. Otherwise, I'd have to say you're somewhat humor-challenged.

12:51 PM, September 02, 2005  
Blogger Dee Jour said...

There's the baseball cap phenomenon..and the other trend, that I've noticed in the city among suited males: the flapping crotch syndrome that was initiated by rap artists.

I don't understand what the point is in wearing jeans/pants so low that underpants show if the jeans/pants are going to fall down anyway.

Maybe it's all Calvin Klein's fault?

(lol)

But I can truly identify with the piece. It's so damn true.

6:08 AM, September 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home